Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon May 10 16:08:54 2004

> Several years ago I saw an interview with the officer in the picture
> who actually shot the guy. I can't remember exactly what he said, but
> the background story was something about that they had just caught him
> executing several civilians or something. I think they said he was
> part of the secret police etc., I just can't remember. Regardless it's
> a pretty shocking piece and just goes to illustrate what a bloody mess
> war really is.

That's about the size of it... The man who was shot was in fact a VC
captain in plain clothes and had been caught in the act of killing a
member of the RVN national policeman, possibly a high-ranking one (by
one report a personal friend of General Loan, the executioner) and
his family.   General Loan later said he wished he hadn't done it,
because that photograph and that act pretty much destroyed his
career.

               Albest,

                        Clayton

---
R.Clayton McKee                http://www.rcmckee.com
PhotoJournalist                   rcmckee@rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                 voice/fax 713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900        pager 281/510-3588

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Best known photo ?)
Reply from paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul Hardy Carter) ([Leica] Best known photo ?)