Subject: [Leica] "Even us natives don't write English good"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 9 17:28:54 2004

> How about loath vs. loathe? By the way, when you say something like "B&W
> photography is his forte", it is pronounced "fort" rather than "forte'"
> (which is a term in music). That is misused so often, I'm loath (or is
> it loathe?) to even *use* the term when speaking. This is one that will
> probably eventually officially be changed to the *wrong* pronunciation
> simply so Americans don't look so dumb mispronouncing it all of the
> time..
>
> Jeffery Smith (the grammar police, who knows better than to mention it
> out of context)
> New Orleans, LA

In my Edith Skinner voice and speech book (Sir Laurence Oliver's voice
coach) she says the short "a" is a word. Long "A" is a letter of the
alphabet.
People to be "more clear" will pronouns the word "a" as long a.
This would be for that reason incorrect. One speaks in words not letters of
the alphabet.
I personally would never dream of doing such a thing!:)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon

New-improved