Subject: [Leica] On Palomar Mountain
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri May 7 12:28:17 2004

Last week, while in Southern California, I took the BMW up to the top of Palomar
Mountain (what a wonderful drive) where the 200 inch Hale Telescape still does
science for Cal Tech.

For me this is ascending to a childhood heaven. The telescope experienced first
light in 1948, the year of my birth, and I grew up with images of it and the
spectacular images it revealed.

Here are some images!

As you walk up a path from the parking lot, past the small museum, you get this
view of dome:

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-Palomar/PalomarDome.jpg>

I love that the top of the mountain has these wonderful small trees and bushes
to give a sense, not only of scale, but also of life surrounding this instrument
for peering out toward the birth of time.

Walking closer:

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-Palomar/Palomar2.jpg>

The structure was designed in the late 30s or early 40s. The surface of the
lower building is textured and has an art deco sensibility.

Standing at the base of the stairs:

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-Palomar/EntryStairs.jpg>

A view of the dome:

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-Palomar/DomeDetail.jpg>

All taken with M6 ttl, 35mm sumicron f/2, on TMAX100 @ 100 in XTOL 1:1 at 20F
following the recommended Kodak agitation.

I got there and desperately wished for my selection of filters. These are
without a red or orange filter.

You criticism and comments would be very valuable.

Adam

Replies: Reply from n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] On Palomar Mountain)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] On Palomar Mountain)