Subject: [Leica] Re: There is more to light than how bright it is...
From: azn at nemeng.com (Andrew Nemeth)
Date: Fri May 7 12:24:37 2004

 >  "Chromophobia"

LOL!  What an excellent term to use to deflate rabid "monophilia"  :?)

 > "No B&W - no Salgado masterpieces"

Maybe.  But FYI Salgado's early work during his Magnum days was in
- gasp - colour(!)

Two shots spring to mind:

(1) An image he did for the "A Day in the life of Australia" book - a
WA shot of boy with swimming goggles at an outdoor olympic
pool in Mount Isa.  Sounds like an obscure photo, but here in Aust.
it's pretty well known since the boy image was used for years
advertising summer-related things (eg. the Sydney Morning
Herald newspaper used it every year in the 80's on their summer
supplements).

(2) A much more famous shot - his photo(s) of the Regan assassination
attempt in 1981.  Yep - the originals are in colour!

And for the academics in the audience - :?) - neither of these photos
conforms to the formalist doctrine of "colour images must make
use of colour to have any relevance".  They are straight-forward shots,
well composed and timed - they just also happen to be in colour.

BTW I've searched Google - both "web" & "images" options - to
see if I could find a link to these photos online, but no luck.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
Blue Mountains  NSW   Australia
<http://nemeng.com>