Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed May 5 15:14:11 2004

On 5/5/04 10:25 AM, "Feli di Giorgio" <feli@creocollective.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 10:14, B. D. Colen wrote:
>> BUT...And I am NOT looking for a fight with the R crowd...by modern SLR
>> standards, those same R8s with what you say is great metering and that
>> great Leica glass, are definitely at least a decade behind the curve in
>> terms of features. R8 aficionados may not want those features, but they
>> are a given in the rest of the photo world, and that - and pricing -
>> severely limits the R market.
>>
>> BTW - to what Nikon are you comparing the R8's metering?
>>
>> B. D.
>
> What metering features is the R8 lacking and does it really matter?
>

> Feli

And what is ten years.

I have SLR's 20, 30, 40 years old whose meters never fail the pictures I get
from them. How sophisticate is a sensor reading off a painted white dot on
the shutter curtain of an M6 or later? Does an SLR need 35 multi matrix for
some reason to make a picture come out? The pictures I take with a Nikon FM
and It's motor drive some out right on the nose every time and I never miss
my focus.
Leica puts most of it's R and D into its glass and that's what I would do if
I ran such a company. That's what I value as a photographer. A good deal of
my work is done with a meterless Hasselblad hand held or on a tripod with
any variety of hand held meters. I work as fast this way as anyone I see
around me who have meters in their cameras.
I'd just as soon shoot with an M2.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon