Subject: [Leica] Re: 1964 Leica prices
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon May 3 11:00:50 2004

On 5/3/04 <sdmp007@pressroom.com (Sal DiMarco,Jr.)> thoughtfully wrote:

>Luggites,
>    According to the February 1, 1966 Leica price list....
>
>M3 body- $ 288.00
>M2 body- $ 249.00
>50mm DR- $ 189.00
>50mm f/2- $ 150.00
>50mm f/1/4- $ 198.00
>35mm f/2 M2- $ 163.50
>35mm f/2 M3-  $ 198.00
>Leicavit-MP- $ 55.00

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question about the cost of a
Leica in the mid-60s.

It's difficult to establish a true rate of inflation. I know you could by a Ford
Mustang with a "frisky" 6 cylinder engine and a 3 speed manual transmission for
about $1850. I assume a Ford Falcon would have been somewhat less.

So basic transportation would have a multiplier of about 6.42 the cost of a
Leica M3.

Today you can find a M7 for $2695 (I had Mel Levy's weekly posting at hand to
reference) which would mean that basic transport would be about $17,311 or so
which would buy you a Ford Focus or, if you were good at negotiations, perhaps a
Honda Element (very low end).

So I guess if we benchmark "The Leica" we have a new benchmark for inflation!

Once again, thank you to everyone for helping me get my historical facts lined
up in a row.

Adam

Replies: Reply from george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Leica sighting in Chicago)