Subject: [Leica] Ted, I Really Want my Pictures to Last
From: wharting at verizon.net (bill harting)
Date: Sun May 2 07:51:11 2004

Hi Ted, and thank you for the thoughtful and generous reply my offhanded
comment did not really merit.

In my own defense, I do think that some of the pictures I have taken are
keepers, and I do make a conscientious effort to make all my prints and
negatives as stable as possible. I've always used fiber, fixed twice, washed
carefully and stored either in purpose-made albums or archival boxes.
Furthermore I treasure the prints and negatives that my grandfather made in
the '20s and 30's in a tiny cubbyhole under the stairs in which he had to
kneel to use his contact printer. Most of these prints were in dime-store
albums, and the negatives in envelopes. Some I have reprinted.

I have long been the Official Photographer of my family's and friends'
events, but now the digital revolution has begun to yield faster and for
most uses better results for their users. This has freed me to use my old
fashioned gear to do what I want to do, and to be the unofficial recorder of
whatever. So I will continue to do that, and to leave to my heirs and
successors messages from the past, mostly on paper (I have made a small
digital beginning, but keep stubbing on the toe of the learning curve.)

Bill Harting