Subject: [Leica] If You Really Want Your Pictures to Last...
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat May 1 12:12:21 2004

Tim Atherton5/1/04

>I've spent countless hours working on many many prints and negatives from
>100 years ago (indeed 50 years ago) that are in very poor condition now.

absolutely. we've all seen the effects of poor storage of film, prints, newspapers, et al.

And if we've got teens - we've also seen the effects of poor storage of cds, hard drives, lap tops, et al. I've got 4 or 5 failed drives sitting around because I don't know how to properly dispose of the things.

All I'm trying to say - nothing will last forever even if properly stored. and most things will deteriorate because they won't be properly stored. and the technology for accessing "whatever" will become harder and harder to save and migrate - especially if you haven't kept up with the migration in a steady way.

I've tried to keep up with what I thought will be needed. And every once in a while a client will say, "Can you get a copy of that ad we did back in 97." And I have to explain that it's in a version of PageMaker that would require me to spend more time translating through old computer systems and version numbers than it would take to remake the ad in IDCS.

So as of today - if all your files are .tif great.
Can you imagine the time it would take to deal with 5 years of Canon RAW photographs - if and when - and I have no doubt they will - change that particular RAW language? I for one am already 2 months behind in turning my work into .tif. And let's not even begin to talk about the scanning that needs doing. eeeeeeeks.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web	                          <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] If You Really Want Your Pictures to Last...)