Subject: [Leica] Looking back ...
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Apr 30 16:31:21 2004

2004-04-29-16:42:27 B. D. Colen:
> God, that is a butt-ugly grain pattern! :-)  But when you absolutely had
> to get the shot and there wasn't enough light to get it - recording film
> came through almost every time.

Ah, the days before off-the-shelf good fast film...  Something I seem
to recall having used a few times was something nominally 400ish (so
presumably Tri-X) pushed to 3200+ and developed in, wait for it,
HC-110 replenisher.  I was assured that it was "an old
photojournalist's trick."  I didn't know any old photojournalists at
the time, though.

Oh, and when we actually *wanted* as much grain as possible, there was
the trick of developing Tri-X in Dektol.  Whoa.  Great snowy blizzards
of grain.  Kinda nice looking, though.

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Looking back ...)
Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Looking back ...)