Subject: [Leica] On photographing demonstrations
From: boffin at shell.gis.net (Tom Bryant)
Date: Fri Apr 30 05:10:28 2004

Hi Luggers,

   This is not as timely as I'd have liked.  Had a problem with submitting, but
Brian fixed it.  Thanks, Brian!

> http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/temp/2004/leica3.jpg

    So that's what I look like in action.  Hadn't even leveled the camera yet.
Left eye shut.  Never paid much attention, but interesting, nonetheless.

    Some thoughts on photographing demonstrations:

    There was at least one other Leica there, unnoticed by all who've
commented.  Steve M?, of Bethesda.  He told me that he photographs events
like this March as a rather serious hobby, and was doing it with his M6 and
50 Summilux.  I've only started on this, but it is street photography at its
best.  This is my 4th, and they give you the opportunity to experience the
political process first hand.  It's humorous, worrisome, and fascinating.

    I did garner a few comments from the photographers in the crowd.  I have
also noticed that the guys with the press passes take you as one of them.  The
camera does garner some respect from working photographers, even if they're
mostly digital now.  Ordinary folk hardly notice you.  To them, a real
photographer has a *big* camera.

    No matter.  The only problem with using the M3 for this sort of very easy
lighting (read uniform and fairly unchanging) is changing film in a hurry
standing up.  The M4 is easier (that's an M4 w 21 in my right lower pocket).
But be careful with the M3's rangefinder.  They can't take much of a beating any
more, one of my M3s blacked out after a short drop onto concrete, and Sherry put
in an M6J viewfinder, which is OK, but it's just not up to M3 standards.

   Next time, both bodies will have straps, they're just that much easier to get
a quickly.  I missed a great shot, as it took me around 3 seconds to pull the M4
from a pocket without loosing the 21mm finder.

   Another photog, an Nikon guy, suggested that it was a good idea to get a
press pass from some news organization, (perhaps for the one time use of your
photos?) as it really helped if the police got nasty.

   BTW, I did not see any nasty behavior from the police.  Some of the
demonstrators were quite obnoxious, but the police showed admirable restraint.

   The major problem is seeing a photo, getting set up, and then waiting for the
moment, before the crowd runs you over.  I shot 5 rolls of 36.  If I get 5 shots
I like, I'll be pleased.

   A major demonstration like this is an athletic event.  You need to be in
shape.  I'm a little out, and a scant 10 miles of bouncing around the crowd left
my legs a bit sore.

   I suspect that I took too much equipment.  I had 2 bodies, with 15, 21,
35, 50, and 135mm lenses.  A Gossen Luna-Pro.  5 rolls of film.  A table
top tripod. A cell phone.  An umbrella.  Next time, the 15 stays home, as does
the 35.  I'm a big fan of the 50, but if I want wide angle, the 21 is exquisite.
The 15 is just too much of a good thing, with its "Mercator" distortion in the
edges and corners.  It's much less noticeable with the 21.  Friends tell me that
the 24 or even 28 is even better for this, but as I do not own them, I can't
say.  Some like the 35, (I know! Some of Eise's best shots...), but it doesn't
sing for me like the 50...  I didn't use the 135 at all.  I thought it would be
great for picking interesting faces from the crowd.  It wasn't.  Things change
so fast that there would not have been enough time to see and shoot the picture.
It stays home next time, too.  So does the tripod.

> What gives people? HUH? What GIVES?

    As to what gives, Leicas are expensive and require practice to use them
properly.  Lord knows.  I'm still working at it.  I've owned Canon F1s, Minolta
SRT101, 102, Alpa 10d and 6c, a few Exaktas, a Nikon SP, a Pentax Spotmatic,
all with various and sundry lenses.  Leica Ms can't do good close up or
telephoto work, have parallax problems, don't let you see your depth of field,
and only sync at 1/50th second.

    Ergonomically, nothing even comes close, however.  To be able to make this
statement, you must have experienced the others.  It takes a while to get there,
and this is an expensive journey.  The leica is the worst, although the Alpa and
Nikon SP have surpassed M3s in price, <Idiot Collectors!!>.  Leicas are the
Stradivarii of cameras.  Superb in what they do, they only do it well in the
hands of an experienced photographer.  My daughter, who has an excellent eye,
prefers here Canon AE-1, with its auto exposure.  One of these days, she'll
be bothered by it's noise, the fact you can't see the moment of exposure, or
that it's not nearly as portable as the M, and she'll borrow one of my Ms.  Then
the Canon will be retired.

You have to grow into them.  The M is rarely one's first camera, it's often
one's last.

   I had no idea that it was Kyle complementing me on our mutual choice of
cameras, or I would have bent his ear a bit more.  He's taken some marvelous
photos.

This document's digital signature:
0C80B98D70A89A1D05806061C1AE55FE