Subject: [Leica] Light meters
From: rolfe at ldp.com (Rolfe Tessem)
Date: Fri Apr 30 04:54:26 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 5:54 AM, Mitch Zeissler wrote:

>> Need advice on a good but inexpensive hand held meter. I was looking
>> at the
>> Sekonic incedental versions. Any suggetions?
>>
>> jim
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Jim...
>
> Gone through the gamut of them; big, small, expensive, cheap, battery,
> non-battery, you name it.  The best experience for me (YMMV) has been
> with the battery powered Sekonics, but no one single meter addresses
> all my desires.  Closest match for me is the Sekonic L-308BII
> Flashmate; very good sensitivity (even better than some of it's big
> brothers); excellent battery life (especially with a AA Lithium cell);
> ambient, reflected and flash; digital display; small and lightweight;
> fairly inexpensive ($179 @ B&H).  FWIW, Steve LeHuray used a Gossen
> Luna-Pro Digital and was very happy with it.
>
> I wish the L-308 was even more sensitive, had a backlight and longer
> exposure times than 60 seconds, but to get those features means
> shortcomings in other areas.
>
> I do have a Sekonic L-608 beast, but I rarely use it due to the
> excessive weight and size it brings to the equation.  Also, the small
> meters are easy to use without bringing attention to yourself, as
> Steve used to great effect with his street shooting.  Many years ago,
> I was stopped by a curious policeman in Vienna, Austria while using an
> L-508 (precursor to the L-608); he was concerned about the odd device
> I was pointing at a government building, but relaxed enough for us to
> have a friendly conversation when he finally spotted the M3 slung
> behind my back.  His reaction is pretty typical of people not familiar
> with the big meters.
>
> Regards,
>
> /Mitch

If  you don't need a flashmeter as part of the package, I don't think
you can beat the selenium-based Sekonic L-398. It has been around for
years and is built like a tank. It has none of the plastic-like feeling
that most of the modern meters seem to have.

Rolfe

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Light meters)