Subject: [Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Thu Apr 29 14:14:51 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:41 PM, Allen Graves wrote:
> I've been looking at the Nikon Coolscan 9000 for this. It scans pano
> film with the rotating glass mount carrier, an option that adds ~$350
> to the already substantial cost. Everything I've read makes the
> scanner sound wonderful, but it's in very short supply and MF doesn't
> come cheap. The Microtek is supposed to be a good scanner as well, but
> it seems technologically a little dated in comparison to the Nikon

Have any real tests been run on the 4870 (by good photo magazines or
sites)? There's no way I'll be able to afford a 9000 or anything close
soon, but I'd like to be able to scan Holga/Bronica (and maybe XPan
someday) negs for the web and printing on my Epson. The 4870's 4x5
capability would be bonus.

If I needed an exhibition print, I'd pay for BWC to drum scan it or
whatever they thought was best. But, I don't trust random photo.net
opinions and the other tests I've seen were run by sources I didn't
completely trust.

MP

Message from ahgraves at prodigy.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box)