Subject: [Leica] Re: Hey, we're having some fun now!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Apr 26 19:44:20 2004

B. D. Colen said:
> True - But...On the other hand, maybe it's time to start calling real
> crap real crap...Encouragement is terrific, but there is tendency to say
> nice things about the most egregious pap - and that doesn't help anyone.
>
> Just a thought...:-)<<

Hi B.D.,
 Yep absolutely! However, if the commenting poster calls it crap, then they
should provide exactly why the shot is crap! I've had amateurs almost in
tears over the years doing camera club critiques. But I've always turned
those tears into learning smiles by explaining exactly why it's a crap shot
and explaining exactly how the shooter could re-do it .

I've always tried to encourage re-shooting a picture where it's possible so
the "crap shooter" can make a better shot and learn how to do it right.

No point in telling a photographer it's a crap photograph if the commentator
can't tell them why it's crap and most certainly if the commentator can't
tell them how to do it right!

If picture posters really want to learn, they must be prepared to be peed on
from great heights for what appears no reason. It takes a tough skin to post
to the world and find out what you thought was a neat photo only to have
another say it's crap! :-) Key thing is, not to get into a pissing match
whether it is or isn't.

ted