Subject: [Leica] Photoshop Questions
From: lists at johnbrownlow.com (Johnny Deadman)
Date: Mon Apr 19 11:26:54 2004

That depends on a lot of things, not least the gamma with which the
image is encoded, which changes the grey point.

Don't take this as gospel, but my understanding is:

	Output Value = Input Value ** Gamma

Where both input and output values are between 0 (black) and 1 (white).

The higher the gamma, the darker the midtones.

What this means is that 50% grey (127 in 8-bit images) represents the
following grey values, depending on gamma:

50% grey in linear gamma (Gamma = 1)

28% grey in Gamma 1.8 (Mac standard)

22% grey in Gamma 2.2 (Windoze standard)

18% grey in Gamma 2.5 (often used as a standard for uncorrected CRTs)

--
John Brownlow
Deep Fried Films, Inc

http://www.johnbrownlow.com