Subject: [Leica] Sand Hill Cranes or I am not Doug Herr
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Apr 17 18:11:13 2004

About 50 miles west of York is the start of the temporary resting place
for about half a million Sand Hill Cranes.  Starting about February 14
to about the end of April Sand Hill Cranes inhabit a stretch of ground
80 miles long and about six miles wide centered on the Platte River from
Grand Island west to North Platte.

Family units consisting of the parents and typically one grown chick
stop for about three weeks to gain enough body mass (about 20%) to
continue the migration north into NW Canada reaching into Siberia.
Winter grounds are in W Texas in the greater big bend area.

>From shortly after sunrise until just before sunset corn fields hold
large groupings of these birds as they gorge on seeds, eggs, insects,
lizards, and small snakes.  From evening until dawn they rest amongst
the sand bars of the Platte: the Platte is a braided river so there are
many shallow streams flowing around numerous sand bars providing safety
from most predators.

Unfortunately for me, these birds are quite wary and have excellent
vision.  Even sitting still on an embankment abutting fields the birds
would gradually "graze" away from me.  Even on the river, unless you are
in a blind they will move away from you.

So, if I go back, I will arrange with a local land owner to allow me to
set up a blind in a field and while away my hours hoping that they will
pick my field to forage.  Likewise, the Audubon society has a very nice
facility on the river (Rowe Audubon Center) that maintains a good blind
on the river.  Small or preferably large donations are appreciated.

Suggestions for anyone else going would include taking lenses up to
800mm and or binoculars of at least 10 power.  Stop by the Audubon
center for orientation and helpful tips.  And do talk to the local
residents; they are as interesting to talk to as watching the cranes.

The picture linked below is a descriptive image of very typical behavior
in an open field, but isn't a very good image.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2294069&size=lg

Comments always welcome.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com