Subject: [Leica] R 90mm Elmarit's sweet spot?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue Apr 13 20:27:45 2004

on 4/13/04 3:06 AM, eric at leica_korenman@hotmail.com wrote:

> For the past year  I have been shooting family and portrait work with an R7
> with 60mm Macro and 90mm Elmarit lenses.
> I have heard much praise on the LUG for the 90mm elmarit, but I just can't
> get my lens to 'sing' like my 60mm.
> Images always seems a bit too soft (well, yes compared to the razor sharp
> 60mm), but I like deadly sharp focus.
> Any suggestions? - I try to shoot the 90mm at 5.6. I am usually using
> strobes, so shutter speed is 1/100.
>
> thanks
> Eric

Eric,

Before spending money on a 100 APO I'd check your technique and have the
lens checked, in that order.  Is it possible that your middle-distance
photos that seem soft are influenced by ambient lighting?  The flash ought
to give you zero camera motion but if there's much ambient light the 1/100
sec shutter speed might not be fast enough.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com