Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 14: Amsterdam shopping
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Apr 12 21:46:04 2004

Hi Jim,

Many thanks!

Jim McIntyre wrote:

> I really like this photo...having a "bookworm" daughter as well I can
> relate! I bet she was so engrossed with the book that she even didn't notice
> you taking the picture...or is she so used to being a subject she doesn't
> flinch anymore?

Both--she has been photographed more or less daily since she was born,
so by now she is totally used to it. And secondly, yes, she was very
busy choosing--the amount I had allowed her that day was enough for 5-6
books; she ended up taking 4 after assuring herself that the unspent
amount would be held in reserve for her.

> You did a great job of balancing the outside light against the interior.
> Often framing a subject against a window makes for a challenging exposure. I
> suspect the outside light was diffused enough, and the window large enough
> to make the balancing easier.

It was extremely easy, I take no credit for it whatsoever. The weather
was overcast, the light therefore nice and soft, and what I posted on
the web is an almost straight scan from the negative, with only a slight
levels adjustment applied in Photoshop. That is why I made a point of
mentioning the film--Tri-X--since we recently had a discussion about it.
I have become concvinced that it is simply the most universal film in
existence, because of its ability to handle a large variety of lighting
situations.

Cheers,
Nathan

--