Subject: [Leica] 35 Summilux...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Apr 4 17:22:58 2004

The last version 35/2 ( Version 4) has an inherent weakness in the materials
used in the ring that holds the shade on.  The ring is made from some form
of plastic, and it breaks.  Repair is possible ( $350), using a replacement
ring.  Best off with a version 3 35 Summicron.  Same glass, not the same
issues with materials.

I have gotten so many wonderful opinions...... a lot of them are really
pretty good, but most contrast in their opinions.  My current thinking is a
late version 35 pre ASPH, test it against my 35/2 pre ASPH and 35/1.4 ASPH,
and decide from that testing if the lens is sufficient that I can sell of my
2 lenses, and keep just the pre ASPH 1.4.  I would like to get down to 1
lens at this FL.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from jerryleh at pacbell.net (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] 35 Summilux...)