Subject: [Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Apr 4 14:54:01 2004

Well all thank you for such an incredible response. For the record a post
has been sent to the TSA explaining the situation and I now await their
response. It'll be  past on when it occurs.

I will be speaking with the airline people tomorrow for their re-action and
will also let you know their response.

Considering I've been flying commercial and chartered flights, military and
you name it flights since 1951, in many situations checking 5 camera and
photographic equipment cases and a couple of clothing cases, one would think
I should understand flying and carrying equipment. Actually on a few
occasions carrying on board a 400mm 2.8 on an R camera body and motor drive.
That was it, as I knew as soon as we arrived it was showtime and action
without waiting for bags and cases to be unloaded, so the camera and lens
were in the overhead bin for the ride.:-)

Oh yeah also carrying a camera bag with a couple of other Leicas and lenses
ready to go into action. :-)

In all my years I never experienced a loss nor damage to gear so this is the
first situation of it's kind. And to all who suggested I should've carried
the M7's as carry on, well I suppose that's Monday morning quarter backing
and I should have. But I considered already carrying a shoulder bag with a
couple of motor driven R's and lenses was more than I'd be allowed with two,
so I went prepared to "obey the in flight law" as such.

Of course it pained me greatly to leave the case unlocked but that's the
situation of flying today with all your checked bags whether you like it or
not. Certainly as it pertains to flying into the USA.

The next time if there should be, I'll take the shoulder bag loaded and the
Halliburton on board, one under the seat and one in the overhead bin, thusly
having it all with me for inspection and travel. Clothes you can always find
a shop only too glad to sell you new clothes. Cameras? That's another
situation. :-(

So for the moment it's wait and see. Once again thanks to everyone for their
sympathies and suggestions and even though I've not been burnt in over 53
years flying there's always the inevitable "first time" for everything.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Ted Grant and Aviation History)