Subject: [Leica] c 41 color neg
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Apr 3 08:33:49 2004

leo wesson wrote:
> Anyone have opinions on what's the finest grain,
> best color, best scan C41 color neg  400 ei film
> to use?

Hi Leo,

I have been revising
For my own purpose, I have narrowed down to 2
C-41 color films:  Fuji NPH and Kodak Portra NC 400.
That's still one too many, so I am testing some
local labs to see which of the 2 print best.

Caveat:  I have no idea whether these films are best
in each of the 3 categories you are interested in
(grain, color, and scan) although they do very well
for me.

Caveat 2: in terms of color, because I use these
films primarily for people photography, I like
neutral skin tones (mostly avoiding reds on
caucasians), and relatively low contrast.

Caveat 3:  I like to use "popular" films
for 2 reasons: availability in multiple formats,
and long-term relative viability.

Hope that helps,

-- Phong