Subject: [Leica] My Brush With Paris Hilton
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Fri Mar 26 20:33:58 2004

Hello,

While returning from a Florida vacation, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel
restaurant in Ocala, Florida to buy some pink flamingo salt and pepper
shakers (don't ask why).  We noticed a couple of oddly dressed young
women buying lots of stuff.  It turns out that these characters were
socialites Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, the last people you would
expect to see in Florida, much less in a Cracker Barrel.  They were in
the area taping their latest reality series (see second link below).

I ran to the car to grab a camera, trying to determine which one to
use.  My first impulse was my "paparazzi" Canon D60 DSLR, but thought
this would draw too much attention and set me up as a pro.  I really
wanted one of the Leica M's but they had the wrong film/' lenses
mounted for a low light shoot and I knew time was tight.  So I grabbed
the LC-5 Lika Leica.  Unfortunately, in the excitement, I forgot to
cancel the flash and drew quick attention from Paris' bodyguard.  He
said I had taken enough photos before I could get any facial shots.  I
disagreed, but given his size and attitude I kept the disagreement to
myself and backed off.  They left in the pink pickup with silver
Airstream noted in the news article below.

Its interesting how your thinking clouds in a fast situation like this.
  In retrospect I should have: (1) Had a camera on my person from the
onset (as per Sonny; (2))Cancelled the flash; (3)Walked away after
being confronted by the bodyguard but slipped around for a longer shot
(or shot her as she came out the door) (4) Got a shot of the truck/
trailer, preferably with her driving it. (5)Paid more attention to the
composition of the shots I did get.

Photo:
http://homepage.mac.com/robertmcclure/ParisandNicole/PhotoAlbum34.html

News article: