Subject: Re: [Leica] epson digital RF report pages
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:34:38 EST

In a message dated 3/12/04 7:26:07 AM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< Sorry, Sam, but this is just so much - noise.

Most of my work does NOT require instant turn around, and I am not being
forced by any bosses to go with digital. But I am finding more and more
that not only is digital giving me - in most cases - the quality film
gives me - but it is also giving me more options.

*Digital gives me the ability to shoot color and have much easier
control over that color - without paying for color film or processing.

*Digital gives me the ability to have 12 - count 'em - 24 different film
types in my camera for each and every shot - 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600,
and 3200 asa daylight color film; 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200
tungsten color film; 100,200,400,800,1600, and 3200 asa pan black and
white film; and 100, 200,400,800,1600, and 3200 asa ortho black and
white film.

*Digital gives me the freedom to shoot for my own pleasure without
worrying for a nanosecond about cost; cost may not be an issue for you,
but it sure is for me, and cost constraints severely limit my personal
shooting when I'm using film.

*Digital gives me instant feedback - when and if I want it - to adjust
exposure, color balance, etc. - and make sure that I'm getting what I
want.

*Digital cuts my time to output IF I'm going quick and dirty. If I'm
going for quality, there is as much time involved in digital post-shoot
work as there is in scanning and printing film. >>

good points.

The computer screen is a great leveler too.   If I was going to shoot porn
for one of those porn sites, where the need was lots of sex shots as soon as
possible, I'd go digital too.  Think of all the money I'd save on film and
processing costs...I could switch ISO's as my models changed 'looks', and just how
with news the end line consumer isn't looking for art either they're just
looking for shots and timely ones at that, as soon as I was done shooting I could
upload it to my editor, and basically, just like most newspapers, after a
couple weeks, porn is pretty much forgettable/disposable as well too.

I think in these cases, of economy, (porn and news), digital is a godsend.

- -kim

Replies: Reply from Sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] epson digital RF report pages)