Subject: Re: [Leica] epson digital RF report pages
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:38:07 -0800

Frank Dernie asked:

> How do you send your film pictures to the wire service immediately
> after you have shot them?<<<<<<

very true !

Over the past few years I've watched wire service photographers, while I'm
shooting film with Leica's,  sending pictures or their electronically
recorded images before an Opening ceremonies at the Olympics or other
international sport events as the athletes are still marching on the field.

It's this instantaneous "use of the work" that blows film right out of the
water.

And there are innumerable situations where digital has made the difference
in using photography as fast as it's required for it's instantaneous
recording, sending ability, film can not do..

Sam said:
>>respectfully reply "nonsense."
>
> Right off let's understand the words "need" and "desire" have
> different meanings. There is nothing that can be done with digital
> that cannot be done with film. No need was filled that had not been
> filled before. None.<<<<<

Sam,
 I agree with you, "nonsense" on some items, but I can't accept it in
blanket form covering all aspects of use. The world is and has changed
enormously in the medium of news gathering and the ability to shoot an event
on one side of the planet and have the pictures locked on the front page of
a newspaper within seconds and to press while the event is still in progress
one could never do with film.

Obvious where time frame is of no consequence then why not use film? However
the world's desire for faster and faster "I want to see it before it
happens," demand is the major driving force in many mediums. So in this case
digital has if you like pushed film off the front page and will continue so.

I do feel there is a "gotta have it because" attitude about digital as a
kind of "FAD" aspect and there will eventually be slow down, but I don't see
it happening for sometime yet, as long as digital cameras continue to
improve, become easier to use and "the old world of film" begins to return
much in the same sense as B&W photography made it's come back.

But the digi "fad" is here to stay for a very long time and I don't see film
returning to it's early levels of use.

ted