Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Anyone want to help me spend some money on a digital darkroom?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:58:32 -0700

> Remember, we are talking about Mr. and Mrs. Citizen who don't give a
> twit about photography.  All they want is an appliance that sits quietly
> on the shelf and creates images when called upon: no thought or input on
> their part.  Currently, a SUC provides the best value for most people as
> you can buy a lens with 27 images for $3.99 and within the limits of the
> design creates very nice snaps.

Within the parameters you paint then film might be a good idea. But people
remember that trip to the processor - they remember looking through the crudy
pictures, maybe one or two good ones. It hurts. They'd like something better.

Digital lets them shoot away because there's no cost to making mistakes. Well, I
suppose you shoot enough so that you have filled up your memory card - that's a
mistake - but really it's cheap. It's easy to send pictures to people. You can
print, and only if you want to. THEN you know the cost when you buy the inkjet
paper or have something printed via iPhoto.

But there's a digital gain - many cameras record the information about the
exposure. That's information lost. If a rookie shows an image to a photog friend
he might or might not get useful suggestions about how to take a better one. but
with digital there's info there for the friend to help. And that's good. It's
sure working with my wife and my kids who are getting better and better at
taking pictures.

Using a camera that use drycell batteries is good - you can find them anywhere
and if you do leave the camera on the shelf for a few months they won't run
down. And there are always more in the door of the fridge.

I'm really sold on digital because it encourages people to take pictures and
with a little help they take better and better pictures.

Which is great.

Adam