Subject: Re: [Leica] Anyone want to help me spend some money on a digital darkroom?
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:01:16 -0500

At 02:47 PM 3/3/2004, Matthew Powell wrote:
>On Mar 3, 2004, at 1:21 PM, Aaron Sandler wrote:
>>Total Budget: $2200.
>>
>>6) Monitor calibration--$150.  Spyder with Photocal.
>>
>>Total price: $2350, which I can stretch to.  Please keep in mind that
>>this sum is significantly more than the value of my car, and somewhat
>>more than the value of my wife's car, so suggestions that involve
>>increasing this amount will not help me very much!
>
>If you can fit it in (maybe by going for a slightly cheaper printer - the
>Epson 1280?), a Wacom tablet is a great addition for photo work in PS.
>
>>Thanks in advance for any advice you might have,
>>Aaron

I hadn't considered the Epson 1280 much.  I've read so much here and
elsewhere about B/W printing that my head is spinning.  I think Piezography
or other dedicated inksets aren't for me because I also want color.  From
what I've read, it seems the 2200 is the printer *most likely* to satisfy
me for making B&W prints on matte papers.  I'm planning to try the 2200
with stuff like "black only" and duotone printing, hoping to find
satisfaction somewhere between dots and colors!

I'd love to get a Wacom.  That may be the one thing I splurge for on top of
the rest...perhaps in a few months.  Which size/version do you have?

- -Aaron

Message from Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu> ([Leica] Anyone want to help me spend some money on a digital darkroom?)