Subject: RE: [Leica] Ambient light + Strobe metering question
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:23:43 -0500

Eric,
If you have a manual flash then the appropriate Fstop for the flash is
based on distance of the flash to the subject (based on guide number or
power output of the flash).  The drill would be set ambient exposure
making sure your shutter speed is not higher than the flash synch speed,
focus, check distance/Fstop on the flash, reset ambient exposure so the
Fstop corresponds to what the flash needs.  This is a lot easier if you
have a flash with variable power like the old Vivitar 283's or a lot of
the Metz units.

In the modern age, if you have a TTL flash system, the camera adjusts
the flash so you get fill without thinking.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com