Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica M and Cosina Digitals
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:57:05 -0800

This is just a mind trick. Don't think of it as magnification, think of it as cropping. A lens is a lens, and it behaves the same whether it is imaging onto film or a digital sensor. Its depth of field is whatever it is.

But if you are imaging onto a digital sensor, that sensor is smaller than film, which gives you a mandatory crop of your image: the outer parts simply aren't there.

Given that your image has been cropped for you by the camera, you now must magnify it in order to produce one that is the same size that you would have gotten if you had been using film. It is this enlargement, and not some magic trick inside the camera, that modifies the image. And it works in EXACTLY the same way that the same lens would work on film if you did that amount of enlargement to the film.

Replies: Reply from "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica M and Cosina Digitals)