Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Digital question
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:28:45 -0800

At 11:04 PM -0500 2/29/04, rclompus@cox.net wrote:
>The Canon G5 although not pocketable has an f 2 lens at some focal lengths.
>Try www.dpreview.com - this site has a number of reviews that may shorten
>your search.  Nothing has the short shutter lag time of an M6 or even R6 for
>that matter.
>
>Richard Clompus

Though not with M6 responsiveness, the Sony DSC-V1 has a 4x lens,
optical viewfinder and significantly quicker responses than the Canon
G5. It, at least, feels like the camera is paying attention when you
press the button. It has downsides as well, not the least of which is
that is uses MemorySticks. DP Review has a good technical comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1 that also compares this
camera to the Canon G5 and the Nikon 5400.

It is significantly smaller than both of those, cheaper, and
definitely more responsive, which factor dpreview doesn't rate highly
enough, IMO. I think the guy who runs dpreview isn't primarily a
photographer, but a techie guy, and it shows.

If I were getting a camera of this type right now, this would be my
choice. As it is, I am waiting for some tests of the new 8mp cameras
to point out basic issues and problems, and then I might try some of
them out to see if they actually deliver. The Sony 828 is generally a
fine camera, and the image quality issues trumpeted on the net are
not nearly as serious as the crappy Electronic Viewfinder, some of
the ergonomic issue and, for a camera of this price, unuseable RAW
mode. It's also very bulky for what it is.

The KoniMinolta A2 looks promising, but has a slower lens than the
E10. However, the lens is 7x, both wider and longer (28-200), has
image stabilization, a very fast refresh viewfinder, eye control
switching of back LCD and ELV, 8Mp and is noticeably smaller and
lighter than the E10. Responsiveness is also supposed to be good.
We'll see.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design