Subject: Re: [Leica] Locked up R8
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:24:05 -0500

Aram:

This has happened to me when the motor drive contacts needed cleaning.
They weren't visibly dirty.

Other than sending it to New Jersey, the only solution which worked for
me was to remove the batteries and leave the camera switched ON for a
few days.

If you use the motor drive much, then I recommend that you brush all 20+
  gold contacts, of both the camera and the drive with a cotton swab
with a little alcohol in it... after every time that you remove the drive.

Now I keep a motor drive permanently attached to one R8 and none to my
other R8... no problems since then.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com