Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ring-necked Pheasant
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:17:17 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

animal <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> wrote:

>> One thing that has always impressed me about Doug is his ability to turn
>> a bird landing on his back lawn into a masterpiece!
>>
>> Tom Schofield
>> 125 St. Patricks Drive
>> Danville, CA 94526
>>
>> Doug:
>>
>> > http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/rnph01.html
>>
>> Great light!
>>

> That,s the lens of lenses isn,t it?
> simon

The 280 f/4 APO is turning out to be a very sweet lens.  I've always been partial to the angle of view a 300mm-ish lens gives, and consequently I've learned how to approach my subjects so I can use this focal length.  Optically the 280 f/4 is a perfect match for the stash of K25 in the freezer, and yet it also pushes K200's performance beyond anything I'd seen from that film before.

Aside from the optics, the handling is a delight.  The focussing ring is light without any slop and damped well enough that it always stays where I leave it.  Using on the shoulder stock/monopod combination (i.e., the Harris' Hawk photo) my left hand is on the head of the monopod where I can reach the focussing ring with my thumb, and it works just as well as the fine-focus knob on the Televit.  On top of all this the minimum focus distance is commendably short.  For those who will use this focal length a lot it's definitely a keeper and well worth the expense.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com