Subject: Re: [Leica] now Lost in Translation
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:17:31 -0800

> Try "Lost in Translation"  it's even worse.  It was recommended to my
> Guatemala travel group by an anthropologist as a good example of culture
> shock.  I watched it last night and it's awful!!  Totally boring movie
> about two self-involved boring people who are lost and bored in a foreign
> culture.  If this is an example of culture shock, then it's an example of
> people who should never have left their own culture.  I can't believe it's
> up for 4 Oscars!  It must be Hollywood insider votes because the director
> is a Coppola.

Oh Tina - you saw the same film my wife did. She left the theatre HATING this
film.

I felt it was wonderful - dead on. I loved the sense of dislocation, the
ambiguous nature of the relationship between the two protagonists - a
non-physical affair I suppose you'd say. It really resonated with me.

But Jan is still barfing...

Adam