Subject: Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli@creocollective.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2004 18:52:25 -0800

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 17:47, dante@umich.edu wrote:

Capa, Ernie Pile etc. were not embedded with a particular unit. They
could move around as they wanted, jumping from unit to unit as they
chose. They were certified by the Allied forces as press photographers
and if I remember correctly their photos had to be screened by censors.
So, yes, their work was screened, but they weren't attached to a
particular unit like PJ's were during Gulf War II. After Vietnam the
Pentagon decided to clamp down on the freedom of the press in war zones.
They didn't want news crews broadcasting daily action directly into
living rooms across America. I remember the coverage of Gulf War I
being very, very clean, as was that of the sequel.

I am in no way knocking the guys and girls who went into Iraq. many of
them paid with their lives and it takes a lot of balls to do what they
did.

Someone please jump in if the above information is incorrect.

Feli

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal)
Message from dante@umich.edu (Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal)