Subject: RE: [Leica] Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:14:33 -0500

Well, that's pretty simple - in my opinion. If you're buying the Buick
instead of the Chevy because there are specific features you want -
let's say leather seats, which you want for some reason, or something
else that improves your "driving experience," then more power to you.
If, on the other hand, you are buying the Buick simply to have the Buick
shield on the radiator grill, so that people will know you can afford a
Buick, that's just as sick as buying a Panasonic rebadged as a Leica so
that you'll have a red dot and the name Leica on the camera. Remember,
the Panasonic version is not a stripped down Leica; the Leica is simply
a rebadged Panasonic with different trim. The "Leica" IS A PANASONIC.
Period. Red Dot or no red dot. Or - the Panasonic, because it has a
"Leica lens," is a Leica. Period. Same cameras; different names.

Or, to look at this thing in a reversed way - If Leica allowed Panasonic
to market the M7 in Japan as the P7, without a red dot, with the name
"Panasonic" on it, for $300 less than the M7, with an identical
warranty, is there really anyone stupid and status conscious enough to
pass up the Panasonic for the Leica?

:-)

B. D.