Subject: Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 06:49:40 +0000

Dave - a few points of debate:
1) I agree, we live increasingly in a world where image is more
important than content. This helps marketing con men to get us to
replace perfectly good items which work perfectly well so they can make
money.
2) Bigger IS better for digital sensors just as it is for film but size
for size digital is better than film IME. Thus an APS digital sensor is
IME better than 35mm film BUT it is also MUCH better than the tiny tiny
sensors fitted to P&S digital. The sensor in the Leica digilux 2 and
similar top end P&S cameras is the size of my index fingernail, the
less expensive cameras have sensors about half the size of my little
fingernail. So 35mm film is much better than them, but Minox film
probably isn't - I haven't used a Minox for years. Does one often
need/fully exploit the potential of 35mm film on a Leica? I only
exploited the full potential in the darkroom on my biggest prints, most
of the time the resolution superiority was just wasted on a print of
only 10x8".
3) Film is not strictly completely analogue either because of the
discrete number of grains. At least changing film gives a choice of
number of "silver pixels" lots on Velvia fewer on HP5.
Frank