Subject: RE: [Leica] Aaron's PAW Week 7
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:31:34 -0500

I posted:

then B.D. Colen wrote:
>I'm afraid that for me, there's too much going on and too much
>blown.....BUT...even though I'm not a cropper, I'd try this as almost a
>square - cropping right along the bottom and left hand side of the
>building - so that you see the shadow, but not the man.

and Ted Grant added:
>Best bet? Forget this one and use "Freshly washed side walk!" It's a much
>better picture lighting and compositionally compared to the guy and his
>shadow. And "Freshly" is the only one that stops your eye dead in it's
>tracks due to the light, water and reflections.
>
>The guy and shadow is way to confusing because your eye goes all over the
>place looking for a place to stop and make something out of the picture.
>It's one of those unfortunate see something shoot quick and it doesn't cut
>it in the end. And when you start trying to crop here there and every where
>to get something out of it, you know what? That means there's nothing there.
>Sorry mate but that's life. File 13!
>
>Now "Freshly washed side walk?"  That's a whole new ball game with nothing
>much to do but print it. ;-) Good one. I was going to say it would've been
>nice to have a human walking in the back ground framed through the posts,
>but no need as the picture stands on it's own as is. Good on you.

Fair enough on the PAW...I see what you both mean.  I still, however, find
myself drawn to it despite (or maybe because of) the busyness.  I think
maybe Ted hit it on the head: I'm still remembering the potential I saw
when I was taking the photo.  It's funny...sometimes it's obvious to me
when a photo fails but sometimes I just can't admit it.  Stubborn, I guess.

I tried BD's cropping suggestion, but nothing has really hit me yet.  I'll
play around some more and see what happens.  Or maybe Ted's right and I
should move on!

In any event, Ted, thanks for digging out the sidewalk photo
(http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/New_Orleans_2003/pages/NO2003_08.html).  At
first I was a little disappointed to find the streets so deserted that
morning, but then I found a few places like that one.  That's definitely in
the "to be printed" pile...perhaps I'll even consider moving it up a few
spots on the list!

Thanks for the comments,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu> (RE: [Leica] Aaron's PAW Week 7)