Subject: [Leica] Karsh portraits: I see the light!
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:07:06 -0600

Once again, I looked through a book of portraits by Yousef Karsh.  It's been
a few years since I last looked at them.  This time, I realized that I was
really starting to notice something:  namely, that I've never seen Ted Grant
and Yousef Karsh in the same place at the same time.  Errr...no, that's not
it at all.

What I realized is that in the portraits that really jumped off the page, I
could hear Ted's voice:  Shoot from the shadow side.  Light.  Eyes.  Action.
Wow.  Is it really that simple?  It appears to be.  Not all of them were lit
in this way.  But many were.  And those really stood out.  Drew my eye to
the person's face.

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Karsh portraits: I see the light!)