Subject: [Leica] Re:Digital M lenses
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:17:47 EST

In a message dated 2/14/04 6:18:12 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< I've only skimmed the messages relating to the problem of changed focal

length in digital. I didn't realize the difference was so great. That is

a problem. Having to buy new lenses to round out the ones that have

become effectively less desirable will be costly and defeats the very

purpose of wanting a digital M camera, re: using existing lenses on the

new body. >>

This recapitulates a situation I had with Olympus cameras. I've used the
Olympus OM SLR line since it came out. I also have a couple of Olympus Pen F 1/2
frame cameras which I used for casual shooting. Olympus provided an adapter
which allowed OM full frame lenses to be used on the 1/2 frame cameras. After a
while you get used to the idea that the number engraved on the barrel of the
lens no longer predicts its field of view. The only problem is with the extreme
wide angle lenses. Sure your 35 mm lens now becomes equivalent to the 50 mm
lens and your 50 mm lens is now a 75 mm lens, but think of the upside. You now
have that extreme telephoto you always wanted - and in a much smaller and
lighter package. Surely if the digital M camera comes about, Leica will produce a
retrofocus wide angle optic for use on the new camera. It could easily remount
an SLR extreme wide angle lens.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Re:Digital M lenses)
Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re:Digital M lenses)