Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:Digital Bessa R2
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:10:44 -0500

It is said to be very true. And I would suspect this means that the
"digital M" is a good 3 to 5 years off. Consider -
- -Leica's detailess M announcement, coupled with its acknowledgment of
fiscal difficulties, obviously came in response to the pending release
of the news of the Epson-Cosina Leica M mount camera...which it looks
like we should be calling the Digital R2 -

- -Leica acknowledged in its announcement that it does not yet have in
hand the necessary sensor technology for the camera it plans to build,
but says that it should now be developable (real word?) -

- -Leica does not even hint at how long the development will take.

Therefore - a couple of predictions - and, yes, Greg, I AM making this
up, I am making a prediction, based on the facts we have -
1. Leica had no real plans to develop a digital M but put out this news
because they couldn't figure out how else to deal with the coming Cosina
camera;
2. Leica may still have no plans to develop this digital M, but may be
saying they do in order to sell bonds in order to keep the company
afloat long enough for the digital R to emerge and hopefully bail them
out;
3. IF Leica is going to develop a digital M - and I sincerely hope they
are - it is eons off, as they need to develop a sensor before doing
anything else.

Meanwhile - I wonder when the digital R2 will be out, what it will cost,
and what the lens multiplication factor will be. ;-)

B. D.