Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Interesting piece on the Digital R
From: gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:31:48 -0700

B. D. Colen wrote:

> Well you can be entertained, Greg - But not being one of the
> independently wealth in this group, I don't "try something out in the
> real world for a reasonable period of time" when it comes to camera
> systems - I can't afford the pleasure. I read about the camera; I
> handle the camera; I compare the camera's capability to other
> available systems and then I make a commitment to whatever seems to make the most
> sense for me.

That's very interesting B. D.. Perhaps you could enlighten me on where and when you handled the Leica Digital R **which is the subject matter under discussion** prior to making this informed comment:

"2 - These controls are weirdly laid out. I was particularly put off by
the four buttons down the left side, which struck me as weird placement."

After all we're not talking about making a logical "commitment" to a certain camera. As to "independently wealthy", in my experience those who are lucky enough to have such independence created it with a combination of their brain's and their hands and their sweat and not by luck. As to what this has to do with writing what you know about a subject in an informed and educated manner I do not know.

Why not just preface all of you negative future pontifications with: "I'm not independently wealthy, I've never owned or even used this camera or lens and here's my so very germane critique."

> Certainly it is no secret that I feel that Leica has always been
> behind the curve with its reflex cameras. That doesn't mean that
> they don't create great images, don't have great glass, or aren't absolutely the
> right tool for some people - Good God, look what Doug, and Ted do with
> them, just for two examples among many.

When a Ted Grant or a Doug Herr post their thoughts about a Leica R camera or lens it's not entertaining blather but *informed Professional opinion*. Don't tell me you can't recognize the difference?

More to the point: "Certainly it is no secret" that you participate on a Leica Forum specifically to continually pontificate about all things Leica in a extremely negative manner. Perhaps you are really the "Troll" you so readily and frequently accuse others on the list of being!

> But I don't like the ergonomic
> one little bit, I don't like what I consider the limited feature
> range,I don't like the lack of a choice between manual and
> autofocus, and I
> don't like the very expensive and limited choices of lenses.

Remind us again; how often have you used a Leica R camera or any Leica R camera? Perhaps you should write consider writing NASA to tell them what you think of the layout of the control panel in their Shuttle.

> What I find most amusing, however, about this somewhat nasty, "to the
> barricades" post of yours, is that I didn't attack the idea of the
> digital R - what I "attacked" was the downright silly so-called
> update,which was not an update at all, but rather was a typical,
> prettypathetic, Leica marketing brochure - well, single page of
> photos of "engineers." I said, in fact, that the idea of a camera with the
> ability to handle both film and digital is quite exciting.

Why be surprised that occasionally you catch a fish when you commence to Troll? By the way I suggest that you may want to read what you write prior to posting it, then reread it again. To wit: "2 - These controls are weirdly laid out. I was particularly put off by the four buttons down the left side, which struck me as weird placement."

> As to my comments on Leica digital - No, I do not use Leica
> digital - which is, in my non-engineers opinion, and the opinion of many other
> people, over priced, and under-featured. And, as we know, is not even
> really Leica digital. I cannot fathom why, if someone liked the design
> of the Digilux 1, they would for an instant consider paying a premium to
> buy a red dot when they could buy the camera as a Panasonic. ;-)

Perhaps you can "fathom" this. People are free to purchase whatever camera brand they like! Most people participate on this list because they like, and can afford to purchase Leica product's. Some people purchase Leica Digital Cameras because they want to support the manufacturer that has made other camera systems that they already own and they want to continue to see products in the future from that source. No one is forced to purchase anything they don't really need or want.

> But as to my "blathering on," this list is full of people who
> "blather"on about the evils of "monster" DSLRs, about having to
> deal with a set of rediculous features, when they have never owned a DSLR, have never
> owned a modern film SLR, and know absolutely nothing about the subject
> they're "blathering" on.

I suggest that you look into a mirror while rereading this. There is an old saying: if the shoe fits wear it!!

>And oddly enough, I don't see you asking them if they've used the equipment >they "blather" about. BTW - how anyone can "blather" about "monster" DSLR's and >willingly deal with an R8 or 9, which to my mind looks and feels like a cement block >on steroids, I'll never know.

There was a time when there were real "Experts with Expert Opinions". These people would rope off an area of inquiry, or interest, of weight and consequence, and make themselves, by a combination of industry, enthusiasm and intelligence masters of that subject. These type of people are quite simply Professionals. Ted and Doug fully fill the bill here. You do not. More of the same from you won't change that.

Regards,

Greg