Subject: RE: [Leica] Development Of Leica's Digital 'M' To Take About 2Years - stitched Canon sensors
From: frank.dernie@btinternet.com
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:25:20 +0000 (GMT)

there are still huge problems manufacturing flawless silicon wafers big enough for a 24x36 digital sensor. I do not think they will be inexpensive any time soon. I had heard that some large sensors were an array but this is the first time I have heard this about the Canon sensor - perhaps it is true.
It is a pity the market is obsessed by pixel count, because the tiny sensors which can be made economically really are not good enough in low light when there are too many pixels. About 4megapix seems OK.
Frank