Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Digital M
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:18:36 -0500

For me, the first problem with a 1.3-1.6 multiplier is
that I will lose my fast lenses in the 35mm-50mm range,
which is the range I use fast lenses the most.

The 2nd problem is that it takes me time to
familiarize myself with the framing for each focal length.
If truth be known, I can compose and shoot fast only with
the 50mm, with the 35mm my second best.  With my other
lenses (24mm, 28mm, 75mm, and 90mm), I am not as familiar,
and therefore take more time to compose.   Same is true with
my EOS stuff.  It took me a good part of a year to shoot
well enough with the Canon 50mm.  There also, I lost my
fast normal prime;  in the Canon EOS line the 50mm f1.4
costs less $300; the 35mm f1.4 costs almost 4 times that.

Anyway, that won't stop me from buying a digital Leica M if
it turns out to be a good product; I can learn to put up with
some limitations (I love the Minilux, after all);  I just have
to wait and see what those limitations will be, as I bet there
will be a few.  We'll see.

- - Phong