Subject: [Leica] Improving problematic 0.58x finders
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:59:17 -0700

I have a 0.58x TTL that was always a bit of a disappointment. It was
fine for the wideangle lenses but the superimposed image was just a
little fuzzier compared to an 0.72x finder; and, worse, the
superimposed image moved significantly if your eye moved in relation to
the finder.

These two problems made using large aperture long normal and long
lenses difficult if not impossible. Even more disappointing was the
fact that the situation was not improved by adding the 1.25x magnifier.
The magnifier made things larger but not any clearer or stable. So my
0.58x was regulated to my 35 Summilux and wider lenses. I was happy
enough but not delighted as I hoped I would be. I finally broke down
and sent the camera to my distributor last year. They checked it
carefully and said it was normal and that all the 0.58x cameras were
the same.

Subsequently that distributor went out of business and, much to my
delight, Kindermann Canada was appointed as Canada's official service
depot. I asked Gerry Smith at Kindermann to order in the rangefinder
upgrade kits for my TTLs and sent him the cameras with a long note
explaining the problems with the 0.58x finder. What can I say, the
0.58x finder is now delightful to use. The superimposed image is
sharper and more stable such that I now have no problem using the large
aperture normal and long lenses with it. The 1.25x magnifier now even
works as advertised with the 0.58x too.

Gerry called to ask if I was happy with the cameras and I said I was
and I asked if the upgrade kit had solved the problem. He said no but
that he had found a few things out of adjustment inside the finder
which, when corrected, sharpened the superimposed image and stopped it
from wandering so much as well. It took him a while to find the
problems as Leica AG was unable to assist him.

So if you are having the same problems I was with your 0.58x camera,
send it to Gerry Smith at Kindermann. He, unlike other Leica repair
depots, maybe able to help improve the finder dramatically.

My finder was particularly bad and I have gathered that not all 0.58x
finders are as bad as mine was. YMMV

THANK YOU GERRY SMITH !!!!

John Collier

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Improving problematic 0.58x finders)