Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600 as 800
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:31:03 -0600

Ted

I asked as I've never shot quite that slow with my 560 without a tripod,
which is the pits as the lens is so front heavy.  I also shoot as you
describe, with the motor and the electric release on the shoulder stock - A
very slick set up.  I am still looking for the extension tube for closer
focus, but so far I've had no luck, oh well, one of these days I'll find
one.  The 560 is one of my favorite lenses on the SL and R4SP, although I
have not had the time to get out lately and use it much.

Gene

                      Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
                      Sent by:                            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600 as 800

                      01/30/2004 05:28 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Gene asked:
> Simon
>> Nice shots, I like the first and last.  I assume these were from a
tripod,
> since your shutter speed is 1/90th.<<<<<<<

Hi Gene,
I bet Simon shot hand held as this lens and it's 560 mate are a piece of
cake to hand hold and shoot at slow shutter speeds while using the shoulder
stock and grip. Actually the  the best way is with a motor drive attached
your R and a micro switch and cord in the pistol grip to the motor to trip
the shutter.

It's the only way to go because you just twitch your index finger and a
frame is gone faster than you can manually on the shutter release. Or using
it as a machine gun for a sequence burst on a an athlete in track and field
or other sports. Or birds in flight while follow focusing and shooting at
the same time without ever removing the camera from your eye, makes for
cool
shooting. And the bird never feels a thing. ;-)

The slowest hand held shutter speed I've used with successful results was
the 560 mm at 1/15th sec wide open during the Closing Ceremonies of the
1972
Munich Summer Olympics.  Most of the time, unless I'm looking for a
deliberate blurring for the feel of action in motion, I always try for the
highest possible shutter speed wide open.

ted