Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: digital in low light
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:24:20 -0500

Frank and all,
I believe that with all things, you have to look at the assumptions
behind the figures.  With select Leica lenses 100 line pairs is very
doable with moderate speed film.  In the real world using a film like
the new Velvia or Provia 100F or most of the 100 speed B&W films with a
decent amount of light you are using a fast enough shutter speed and a
middle aperture that hand shake and minor focusing errors are not
significant factors.

The assumption behind the math that I am questioning is what can be
delivered on film.  I believe that the writer is assuming middle range
gear that would be hard pressed to deliver 60-80 line pairs at say a 20
cycle MTF.
The 135 APO, 90AA, 50 Summicron, either current 35, the 28 Summicron,
and the 24 for the M system can all deliver almost 100 line pairs at
apertures around F4 at a 20 cycle setting especially out to 12mm.

I think that I will be trying my hypothesis out this week.
Unfortunately, using an M lens on a digital camera will require very
close focus, but at least I can duplicate the image from the digital
body using a Viso rig.

My question to the group is, what real world subject matter would
provide enough detail to stress the system?

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com