Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital-redux
From: Mike Durling <durling@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:34:49 -0500

There is something to this.  Apparently some company has claimed a
patent on some technology in the JPEG file format.  Thus there is no
guarantee that access to JPEG files will always be freely available.
The PNG file format is designed to be free of such restrictions,
although the license free (or free license) status of PNG has not been
tested in court.  There have been challenges.

Mike D