Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Wide Angle Lenses
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:39:26 -0800

At 1/19/2004, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>   I am in the market of a wide angle lens which I might need to use when I
>travel in Europe.  I have never used one wider than 35mm.  Can I get
>educated on optical quality of various wide angle lenses which might be
>suitable for my intended use?  I use M3 and SL (or RE with winder), which
>means comments on either for M or R are welcome.
>
>Best Wishes,
>David Lee

David:

I'm not much of a wide angle user... I tend to 'see' long. (I use a 90
Summicron or 80~200 Vario as a "normal" lens).

When I want a wide, it's because I can't back up any further... a wall or
cliff is in my way.  I've owned 35 & 24mm lenses, but neither was really
satisfactory.

Then, I stumbled across a 21mm Super Angulon. It is fairly slow, at f4, but
it's W-I-D-E! And I love it!  If not held level, it has the usual w/a
distortions, but if properly held the distortion is very small, contrast is
good and sharpness is incredible!  (DOF is amazing... if stopped to f11,
DOF runs from 8" to infinity!)

Fairly inexpensive these days, it is readily available in a 3 cam version
that works with the SL through the R9.  There was  version made for the M
cameras as well.

Let us know what you do!

David Young	| The LHSA Spring Shoot - Victoria, B.C.
Victoria,	| April 23 thru 25th, 2004.
CANADA. 	| Join the LHSA and join in the fun!

Information at:  http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/spring-shoot.htm

Personal Web-site at: http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr