Subject: Re: [Leica] acting blind
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:52:41 -0800

Liam Maloney offered a new view!!!!"
Subject: [Leica] acting blind
> Thank you to everyone who took a look at my most
> recent picture story, especially Ted, Sonny & David
> (great critique, REALLY useful!). I've taken your
> advice and changed things around a bit, posting an alt
> shot, cropping one frame a tiny bit and trashing a few
> redundant images. The result, for those interested, is
> a bit tighter:
> > www.leica-gallery.net/getcloser/folder-6099.html<<<<

Hi Liam,
The next time you present a revised edit may I please suggest you include
the original set as presented. It's a much better learning tool for others
because they can compare cropped to non-cropped versions and appreciate the
reason for dropping one or adding another.

However, as far as I'm concerned you blew one of the best story telling
photographs by cropping "Quiet time!!" I believe due to a suggestion . It
should have been left as it was as it had so much story telling impact of
the little girl in her quiet time blind world, yet behind her was all the
obvious conversation by adults. It merely required a slight burning down of
the tall chap with the white hair and it would've been right on the mark
within the photo essay. A damn fine story telling photograph!

As it's now cropped, it's completely a meaningless exposure! I bet if you
put them both up as it is shown here and the original with the slight
burning down of the standing fellow you'll see the original is far more
story telling within the series.

It's something "like too many cooks spoil the broth!" Certainly when a half
dozen people make editing suggestions!  We all are our own worst editors and
quite often make the wrong choice. In fact you folks should be around here
when Sandy and I go head to head about a slide or photograph!

Then she'll bring Irene into the fray who's 50 plus years experience as my
"how do you like this ?" personal photo editor and I'm usually dead right
there ! ;-) However their editing is generally settled with one simple
question.... "Is this one of your 10 best ever photographs?" I say, "Nope!"
They win and it's not in. ;-)

ted