Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: silver B&W prints from digital
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:28:51 -0800

on 12/15/03 8:43 AM, Douglas Herr at telyt@earthlink.net wrote:

> San Miguel Photo Lab is now offering B&W fiber prints from digital files:
>
> http://www.bestlab.com/sanmig14.html

I posted the above on some lists a few weeks ago when this lab was offering
a free 8x10 B&W RC print using an LCD enlarger in order to familiarize their
staff with the new equipment and process, and to get as much experience with
it as quickly as possible.

I sent http://www.wildlightphoto.com/land/towercreek.html to San Miguel
Photo Lab.  My free print arrived about a week ago and I was very
disappointed.  I already had gotten an 11x14 LightJet print on B&W RC paper
from www.reedphoto.com and loved the print: all the detail I'd come to
expect from a LightJet print, good rich blacks, sparking highlights and
wonderful tonality.  I had also gotten a free sample 8x10 LightJet print of
this image on Fuji Crystal Archive paper from www.wattscolorlab.com, and was
pleasantly surprised: there's a bit of a color cast when compared with the
other prints but viewed by itself you'd never suspect it was on RA-4
chromogenic paper.

The print from San Miguel was much too harsh.  Highlights were blown out,
darker midtones were nearly black:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/land/towercreek_harsh.jpg.  I contacted San
Miguel (bestlab@plateautel.net) and explained the problem.  Lee Dubois
offered to re-do the print at the lab's expense, which I agreed to.  It
didn't hurt that I told him that people on several lists had asked me how
the print looked ;-)

The re-print arrived today.  Actually 3 arrived.  The first was what Lee
called 'Lab normal', which is far better than the initial print.  The second
print is 'soft', 50/50 blue and green, whatever that means.  This print is
gorgeous, easily the equal of the LightJet print on RC paper.  The third
print is normal contrast on warm-tone paper.  A very nice print, though I'd
like it better with the lower contrast.

Bottom line?  When it's my money making the print, San Miguel is an
excellent option.  Not only do they have the neutral and warm-tone papers,
they can also print on B&W fiber paper (not RC).  I'm happy.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com