Subject: [Leica] Re: OT-- Films about Canada
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@vif.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:40:57 -0500

I'd start with the grandaddy of them all, "Nanook of the North" (1922), but then
proceed rapidly to the best of Canadian cinema in French, including things like "Mon
Oncle Antoine", Kamouraska", "Les Bons Debarras", "Cordelia", "Jesus de Montreal" (a
favourite), and much of the rest by Denis Arcand. Don't miss the delightful animated
short "The Hockey Sweater." Also look for the recent Cannes Camera d'Or winner
"Atanarjuat -- The Fast Runner", a truly great film by any cinematic standard. There
are a bunch of political dramas and documentaries that are essential to understanding
this country as it is now -- e-mail me and I can give you a short list. I find far
too many English films made in Canada embarrassing because they seem to strive to
perpetuate the image of this  country as a place populated by beer-swilling clods in
checked shirts, probably to conform to the paying American public's preconceptions.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: OT-- Films about Canada)