Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux 2
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:52:31 +0800

Hi

the main problem with the Digilux 2, IMHO, is not the controls, or even the
price. It is the size of the sensor. No doubt u might be able to make a good
11 x 14" print with it, but it will have to be at its lowest ISO, which is
100. Anything above will be noisy, like ALL other consumer digicams. Yes, I
haven't played with one yet, but is it really so hard to see the potential
problem? the 3 megapixel D30 digital SLR can give better quality than a 4 or
5 megapixel consumer digital point and shoot precisely because it has a
larger sensor capable of producing smooth noise free images. This allows
potential for larger print sizes. The D30 goes from ISO 100 to 1600, with
very usable 800 and acceptable 1600 if u keep the print size to 5 x 7".

Now you have the 6 megapixel Canon 10D, the 5 megapixel Nikon D100, the 6/12
megapixel Fuji S2Pro, all with considerable larger sensors than that of the
digilux 2, which is basically not much bigger than any other digital p&s.
All go from ISO 100 to 3200, with very very good ISO 800s and 1600 quality.
And the new digital rebel is also 6 megapixels with the same large sensor,
goes from ISO 100 to 1600, and costs less than USD $2k with a lens in kit
form.

Even the E1 with its smaller sensor (but larger than the digilux 2) has
noiser images at the higher ISOs. What makes us think that Panasonic is able
to do any much better with the small 2/3s CCD they have? how many of us
shoot only at ISO 100? certainly not me......

the other problem is the electronic EVF that we have to put up with in the
Digilux 2. Is anyone taking note of this? How confident are we that the EVF
from Panasonic is going to be any better than that of Minolta's offerings in
their Dimage series? If it is not much better, how are we going to shoot in
low light with a grainy, lagging, dim EVF? or in good light, for that
matter.

btw if we are less biased and are willing to try new things, the Canon 10D
(or for that matter, the Nikon D100) is certainly not as bulky as some of us
wants to think. It's small and light, and amazingly, it has a quiet shutter
with no film transport noise (of course!). It may not be as quiet as the
Leica M that i have, but it certainly is more discreet than its film
counterparts. It also has a responsive shutter with minimal lag. Yes it's an
SLR, but at least it has ground glass viewing and focusing, compared to
peering at an electronic image and trying to decide how early to press the
shutter to overcome the lagging, slow to update EVF problem.....

boon hwee